Wednesday 31 October 2007

Keel strip - final layer

Thanks to my mistake last night, the keel strip will now have three layers. I hand to sand down the first attempt at a layer of coloured gelcoat; this was to remove the lumps but also to remove the surface so that the new layer would stick.

I had to re-apply masking tape along the sides of the keel strip and then apply a new batch (100g + 2ml catalyst) of coloured gelcoat. There was a bit left over, so I did a bit of purely cosmetic repair to the black gelcoat along the seams.

I used a brush similar to the one that I had to throw away last night. I'm hopeful that this brush has come clean using washing powder and water.

I let the gelcoat start to set while I washed the brush and had some breakfast. I then removed the masking tape. It looks good and I'm keen to get back to it this evening and check it over properly.

My plan for this evening is to apply a small amount of orange gelcoat to a few places on the hull. If I get time then I may also do the first layer on the knee tube (including patching over the holes for the deck elastics) and the front hatch. I can then do the final layer on the knee tube, either this evening (unlikely) or tomorrow morning. This should be all of the work that needs to be done with the boat upside down, so I should be able to start tidying up the deck with some more orange gelcoat tomorrow evening. I'll probably be putting back the front hatch and re-fitting my decklines on Friday evening as I get ready to go off paddling for the weekend!

The deck elastics will ultimately be fitted using some sort of screw fitting through the deck; I may have to do without for a while until I can find some suitable parts. I've also got to buy a footpump but I'm currently well within my budget, having spent about £80 so far.

No comments: