Sunday 19 October 2008

Minor tweaks and a revised to-do list

I have found time to add a system for securing my spare paddles. I have gone for the plastic waste pipe approach for the shaft ends, secured to the deck lines with cord. The blade ends are held in place with deck elastics.

Sections of sleeping mat have been glued to the inside of the hatches to cover the sharp ends of the bolts that hold the hatches in place. This protects my gear and hands from any further damage. The new formulation of EvoStik seems to be OK and I like the addition of a brush to the lid of the medium sized tin.

Some trimming of the front of the seat has made it far more comfortable. It no longer digs into the backs of my thighs.

The idea of adding a new bulkhead behind the seat has been dropped - this space is too convenient for my stove and tent. Airbags will be used to fill this space when the boat is not loaded.

To do:
1) Minor repair to gelcoat of keel strip at the stern.
2) Fit a foot pump.
3) Replace the deck elastics.
4) Fit elastics to secure water bottles in the cockpit area.
5) Fit a simple deck-mounted towing system.

I'm also planning to make myself a storm cag, since the off-the-shelf ones are too small for me, and either make or purchase a new spraydeck that is the correct size for the ocean cockpit.

3 comments:

pinkandgeek said...

Hi Sean,
I have enjoyed reading about your Icefloe refurb. I manage a blog at sethdent.com about sea kayaking in St. Marys, Georgia, USA.

I recently did a write-up on kayak refurbishing as an alternative to building, and I included a link to your site. Check it out directly @ http://sethdent.com/2009/02/14/not-ready-to-build-a-kayak-rebuild-one/

rednax said...

Hi there Sean.
I just recently found this blog. It immediately caught my attention since I´m also an owner of an Icefloe of about the same age as yours. She hasn´t been used much the last 1o -15 years for different reasons. One is to much sitting down on my behalf, cause my work is behind a desk,growing fat and lazy. Decided to change that a while ago, started to do some training and bought myself a Kodiak Kayak. Now, inspired from reading your blog, I´ve decided to refurbish the Icefloe and feeling very happy about that. Thought I´d just thank you for that./Mats

Unknown said...

Hi All,
One of these Seafloe Kayaks washed up last year in front of my house in Nassau Bahamas. I did my best to find an owner but no one claimed it so... Basically in good condition except the seat and "rim" needs repair and I need a couple of cover plates for the storage compartments. The strapping is all gone too. I found some guys e-mail address last year but he just advised forgetting it.
Any help on where to get stuff would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers & thanks in advance.